Upstream Arts is looking for experienced Teaching Artists of any artistic discipline to join our Teaching Artist Roster: actors, dancers, clowns, painters, musicians, singers, playwrights, directors, physical theatre artists, multi-disciplinary performing artists, mixed media visual artists, writers, poets, composers, and all other unclassified artists.
This is a part-time position. Hours vary depending on organizational need and artist availability. Applications accepted until January 10, 2020.
The mission of Upstream Arts is to use the power of the creative arts to activate and amplify the voice and choice of individuals with disabilities. In our programs, professional artists teach fundamental skills in a variety of art forms through activities that nurture self-expression, conversation skills, and group participation. We integrate individuals with cognitive, developmental, emotional, behavioral, and physical disabilities into multidisciplinary arts programming designed to develop social and communication skills vital to success in school, work, and life.
Upstream Arts’ Teaching Artists teach our multi-disciplinary arts-based curriculum in teams of 2 or 3 in schools, adult day centers, and community groups in the Twin Cities metro area and beyond. All classes are taught in a group facilitated structure with Teaching Artists rotating up front leading activities.
Teaching Artists are provided paid-training to learn how to teach our unique curriculum as well as training in teaching strategies for working with mixed-ability groups. Upstream Arts provides competitive market wages, accrual of Paid Time Off, and eligibility to opt into a retirement plan.
- Collaboratively facilitate programs as part of a Teaching Artist Team
- Attend Teaching Artist Trainings throughout the year
- Assist with the development of new curriculum
- Give and receive timely feedback
- Artistic background
- Minimum 1-2 years Teaching artist experience
- Excellent group facilitation and communication skills
- Ability to work and collaborate as part of a team
- Ability to project an air of calm in hectic environments
- Experience working with people with disabilities
- Bi–lingual in Spanish, Hmong, Somali or American Sign Language
- Ability to play a musical instrument
- Background in education
How to Apply
Mail or email a cover letter and resume to:
3501 Chicago Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Upstream Arts is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, age, veteran status, marital status or status with regard to public assistance. Individuals with disabilities, people of color, women, trans, and gender-queer individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.