Apply now for our Operations Manager position
Accepting applications through August 16, 2022
The Operations Manager provides oversight of organizational operations, including administration, finances, and human resources, providing crucial support to Upstream Arts’ Leadership Team in these areas. This position acts as the financial/contract contact liaison to our program partners, oversees daily financial functions, and maintains financial and human resources systems, and plays a key role in the coordination of the day-to-day operations and in development and oversight of organizational systems.
The Operations Manager contributes to an organizational culture that is passionate, supportive, collaborative, participant and artist centered, and accountable to one another and our community.
Salary is $60,000-$65,000 for this full-time, exempt, benefits eligible position.
- 11 Paid Holidays plus year end office closure
- Paid Time Off (begins at 19 days, increases based on years of service)
- Health Care (Employer pays 65% premium for employee and spouse/ dependents plus makes a HSA Contribution equal to employee’s annual deductible)
- Long Term Disability insurance
- Option to opt into 401(k) retirement plan
- Upstream Arts staff are currently working in a hybrid environment.
- This position is a blend of, and will include and require both in-person and remote work.
- Upstream Arts’ office is an open (no walls) office environment.
- Working schedule is typically M-F with some evening and weekend events.
Upstream Arts adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy in January 2022. All employment with Upstream Arts is conditioned on candidates being fully vaccinated. Individuals with medical issues or religious beliefs, or practices, that prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from our vaccine requirement.
Systems and Administration
- Oversees, improves and refines organizational systems and processes, finding efficiencies where needed.
- Oversees organizational administration and manages the Operations Associate.
- Acts as liaison to all vendors
- Manages organizational financial systems and ensures adherence to financial controls and accounting standards, in collaboration with the Associate Executive Director
- Oversees and works with the Contract Accountant/ Bookkeeper on the monthly financial close and reconciliation.
- Carries out required tracking and financial reconciliation of government grants
- Supports Upstream Arts’ Leadership Team in the area of forecasting, product pricing, and budget analysis and predictions.
- Builds and maintains systems around payroll and Artist pay forecasting
- Collaborates with the Leadership team on the development of the Annual Budget
- Supports the Annual Audit
- Serves as Upstream Arts’ Billing Administrator for the Minnesota Department of Human Services; oversees waivered services billing and invoicing.
- Oversees and manages Operations Associate in preparing receipts, checks, invoices and time tracking allocations for monthly reconciliation by Contract Accountant
- Oversees and manages Operations Associate in Bill Pay, Payment Receipt, Invoicing and Deposits
Human Resources & Payroll
- Oversees Human Resources for the organization.
- Serves as a first point of contact for all Human Resources issues
- Serves as point of contact for Teaching Artists and staff on payroll, benefits, HR, PTO
- Builds and maintains human resources systems: performance reviews, human resources processes including Performance Improvement Plans, grievances processes, creation of job descriptions, salary determinations and raises.
- Develops and implements recruitment, compensation, benefits, and employee relations plans and programs.
- Develops HR resources policies and procedures and ensures compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Develops and/or revises COVID policies and protocols when needed
- Upholds and oversees organizational policies and the Staff manual; regularly reviewing and updating/ revising policies and the manual as needed.
- Oversees and manages Operations Associate in benefits administration, including managing the annual renewal and compliance paperwork related to health, retirement and long term disability insurance benefits.
- Oversees and manages Operations Associate in preparing and submitting bi-monthly payroll and related tasks (PTO tracking, deductions, etc.)
- Works with the Artistic Director to create and issue Teaching Artist wage notifications for out of town programs or project work.
Development and Event Support
- Ensures alignment between Upstream Arts’ accounting systems and its development and donor database
- Assists with grant reconciliation, invoicing, financial tracking and reporting
- For fundraising events, oversees tracking of in-kind donations and sponsorships, and assists with reconciling donations post event.
- Works with Executive Director to complete all Community Partners paperwork for school districts/ partners
- Works with Executive Director to create and issue program contracts for all organizational clients
The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and the Associate Executive Director.
- BA or 3 to 5 years of mid-level relevant nonprofit human resources and accounting experience required.
- Knowledge of nonprofit fund accounting, auditing and tax management
- Experience with nonprofit accounting software – Quickbooks.
- Familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and standards affecting nonprofit organizations.
- Familiarity and experience in human resources management, processes and best practices
- Previous experience with government contracts, private foundation grants, and individual contributions
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis
- Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage financial, operational and human resources work that involve high levels of collaboration
- Demonstrated people skills necessary to coordinate the flow of information to and from staff who possess varying degrees of financial and program experience.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change and growth.
- Strong time management and project management skills.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by August 16, 2022.
Upstream Arts is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, age, veteran status, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance. Individuals with disabilities, people of color, women, trans, and genderqueer individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.